Tuesday, January 10, 2012

This Feels Good!

So I'm 10 days into the pursuit of my 2012 goals. The hard stuff is yet to come - the weight of habits wanting to pull me back to old practices, the time crunches that threaten my newly adjusted schedule, the setbacks in my efforts, and the doubting of the reasonableness and practicality of my goals. I know these time await down the road.

But for now, I'm just feeling good!

It amazes me how the initial accomplishment of a few simple goals can have such a positive emotional affect on a person. It can't yet be said that I've changed my life by any real measure. I've just taken the first few step in a long journey. I'm not that much fitter in body, mind or spirit than I was 10 days ago.

But I feel pretty good about myself.

I think God made us to work this way. It's an internal affirmation that says, "Yes! This is the right road! Keep this up!" Our conscience affirms that acting on our good choices is a wonderful thing. Our self-image is enhanced. We begin to see ourselves in a different, in a better, light. Because of what we've actually done.

Yes, ahead I will be tested. Yes, I will need to persevere. But for now I'm grateful for the internal affirmation God gives that this path is the right one to walk. Perhaps this is a part of what God meant when He said,

"The truly happy people are those who carefully study God's perfect law that makes people free. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God's teaching says. Those who do this will be made happy." (James 1:25 NCV) This obedience applies to cultivating our physical, mental and spiritual health.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's blogs! I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, and the thought of a year long commitment to continually growing is, in all honesty, overwhelming. But God has been putting the very things that all of you are talking about on my heart in the past few months, so I'M IN ;) The beginning is, just like you say, exciting and exhilarating. I can't wait to see what this year holds! I am praying daily for all of you on your individual journey's and for the Church as a whole!!

    ReplyDelete